Brisbane man was infectious with COVID-19 in community since Friday

Brisbane man was infectious with COVID-19 in community since Friday

Update (1.46pm AEDT 26 March): Queensland Health has released a detailed list of locations visited by the infectious man.

A 26-year-old man from the northern Brisbane suburb of Stafford was infectious in the community from Friday last week, sparking new contact tracing efforts by Queensland's health authorities.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has revealed the individual visited a number of locations in Stafford including Bunnings, Aldi, and the Guzman y Gomez drive-through, as well as the Carindale Shopping centre, the Fresh Food Market stall at Gasworks in Newstead, Mamma's Italian Restaurant in Redcliffe and various locations in Fortitude Valley over the weekend. 

Since Palaszczuk's announcement a list of locations visited by the 26-year-old was released by Queensland Health, but does not include Aldi in Stafford or any locations in Fortitude Valley. The official list is as follows:

SATURDAY 20 MARCH:

  • Carindale Shopping centre at around 11am
  • Baskin-Robins ice cream in Everton Park at 8pm

SUNDAY MARCH 21:

  • Fresh Food Market stall at Gasworks in Newstead at 9am
  • Mamma's Italian Resraurant in Redcliffe at 12.20pm

MONDAY MARCH 22:

  • Worked in Paddington as a landscaper
  • Guzman y Gomez drive-through in Stafford at 12.30pm
  • Bunnings in Stafford at 1pm

The Premier said the case was "no cause for alarm", but it was a timely reminder for people to keep up social distancing habits.

"We absolutely want people - especially over the next two to three days - to come forward and get tested if you are feeling unwell and you have symptoms," she said.

"From 12 noon today our aged care, our hospitals, our prisons, people caring for people with a disability, will be closed to visitors but this will be confined to the Brisbane City Council areas and to Moreton.

"These are sensible precautions to look after our most vulnerable."

She called on people in the Brisbane City Council and Moreton Bay Regional Council to return to wearing masks in crowded areas, pointing to sporting matches and crowded trains as prime examples.

Premier Palaszczuk also made the observation from various functions she's attended that people weren't taking the same precautions as before.

"We really need people to social distance, and the other thing that's coming back is people are doing handshakes again," she said.

"Please, we are still in the midst of a pandemic now is not the time to break our social distancing, our good hand hygiene.

"I'm sorry everyone, but we need to abide by these things if we're going to get through this."

More information on the new case is yet to come, but the Premier explained she wanted to advise the public as soon as possible, and will provide ongoing updates over the weekend if new cases are reported.

Seven new cases were reported today of which six were in hotel quarantine - three from Papua New Guinea, the most common source of new cases in the state, one was from Ethiopia and another was an historic case.

There are currently 69 active cases in Queensland, where more than 53,000 vaccines have been administered to date. 

Updated at 11:24 AEST on 26 March 2021.

Help us deliver quality journalism to you.
As a free and independent news site providing daily updates
during a period of unprecedented challenges for businesses everywhere
we call on your support

How communications technology can raise the bar on customer service, employee experience
Partner Content
From capturing feedback early to providing messages with a higher rate of cut-through, ...
Advertisement

Related Stories

Apollo to divest large share of motorhome fleet to get Tourism Holdings merger over the line

Apollo to divest large share of motorhome fleet to get Tourism Holdings merger over the line

In an effort to appease Australian and New Zealand regulator concer...

Dexus awards John Holland building contract in $2.1b Waterfront Brisbane project

Dexus awards John Holland building contract in $2.1b Waterfront Brisbane project

After securing an $830 million contract from Dexus (ASX: DXS), Melb...

QLD to launch Star Entertainment review in July as former judge appointed to probe casino operator

QLD to launch Star Entertainment review in July as former judge appointed to probe casino operator

Casino operations that account for more than half of The Star Enter...

Collection House calls in administrators: Was Volt collapse the spark?

Collection House calls in administrators: Was Volt collapse the spark?

A recapitalisation plan has failed to save debt collector Collectio...