SA to adopt 2sqm rule, mulls VIC traveller pre-approvals

SA to adopt 2sqm rule, mulls VIC traveller pre-approvals

South Australia will implement the two square metre rule per person for indoor gatherings, restaurants, bars and cafes when it moves to Stage 3 on Monday 29 June.

The approach sees COVID-19 restrictions being wound back even further, after the SA Government previously announced the application of the 4sqm rule would be applied across the board from next week.

SA Premier Steven Marshall says the new rule can be implemented thanks to the hard work done by South Australians in suppressing COVID-19.

"South Australia continues to have an excellent, excellent record in terms of reduced infections," says Marshall.

"We're the envy of the entire country and quite frankly I think we are the envy of the entire world, and this is what has given the Transition Committee confidence today to further ease restrictions in Stage 3."

"Large events" like outdoor concerts and the reopening of nightclubs are also on the cards for Stage 3, with the specificities of how these events and venues can operate to be announced in the coming days.

"Some higher risk activities which have never even been contemplated before, larger events and nightclubs, will be considered, but only after a comprehensive COVID management plan has been put in place and approved by SA Health and the Transition Committee," says Marshall.

SA's borders have gradually begun to open up to travellers from WA, NT, QLD and TAS, but the spike in COVID-19 cases in Victoria has raised red flags for Premier Marshall.

As such, the State is planning on implementing a pre-approval process for travellers from Victoria, whereby Victorians must obtain essential travel approval if they wish to enter SA.

SA will open its borders to Victoria on 20 July as previously announced, but Marshall says he is looking "very closely" at Victoria.

"Having said that, I do emphasise that we're not going to lift the borders if we're going to go backwards as a State," says Marshall.

"We've got three, nearly four weeks until that date, we are looking at what's happening in Victoria extraordinarily carefully, but we as a nation have got on top of outbreaks and clusters before and I'm sure that's exactly what will happen in Victoria."

SANFL games this weekend will also be permitted to host spectators. The maximum capacity for both days will be 5,000 people per game on Saturday and Sunday.

Updated at 12:32pm AEST on 23 June 2020.

Help us deliver quality journalism to you.
As a free and independent news site providing daily updates
during a period of unprecedented challenges for businesses everywhere
we call on your support

Crypto staking: a new way to earn passive income
Partner Content
You may be familiar with traditional ways of earning passive income such as trading sto...
Etoro
Advertisement

Related Stories

Without foreign students and workers, retail sector calls for pensioners to fill staffing gaps

Without foreign students and workers, retail sector calls for pensioners to fill staffing gaps

The Australian Retailers Association (ARA) has called on new g...

Cannon-Brookes launches shareholder campaign against AGL demerger

Cannon-Brookes launches shareholder campaign against AGL demerger

Australian billionaire and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes...

Action film The Fall Guy starring Ryan Gosling to inject $244m into the Australian economy

Action film The Fall Guy starring Ryan Gosling to inject $244m into the Australian economy

The Australian economy is expected to receive a $244 million inject...

Board clean-out on the cards for The Star as review told of mass resignation plan

Board clean-out on the cards for The Star as review told of mass resignation plan

The review of Star Entertainment Group (ASX: SGR) by the NSW gaming...