South Australia to ease COVID-19 restrictions from next Tuesday

South Australia to ease COVID-19 restrictions from next Tuesday

COVID-19 restrictions on venues and gatherings in South Australia will ease from next Tuesday 1 December with an aim to get the state back to "a sense of normality" by Christmas.

The changes will benefit hospitality and venue operators in the state with gathering caps increased, and will stay in place for two weeks so SA Health can monitor the situation.

On the same day all border restrictions with Victoria will be lifted, letting people cross into SA for the first time in months.

From 1 December patron caps on all general trade in licenced premises will be removed, conditional on individual premises deploying SA's new QR code check-in system.

However, the one person per four square metres rule will apply for all indoor activities in venues, and alcohol can only be consumed while seated.

The one person per two square metre rule will come back into play for outdoor spaces at venues, and consumption of alcohol while standing up will be permitted.

A total of 150 people will be allowed to attend funerals, weddings and private functions.

People will be allowed to drink standing up inside at private functions in venues, and dancing will be allowed at weddings.

Home gatherings sizes will remain capped at a maximum of ten people, and gatherings of more than 1,000 people and at nightclubs must have a COVID management plan in place.

Community sport will be able to resume, and masks will be required where physical distancing is not possible.

Internaitonal arrivals suspension extended

A suspension of international arrivals into SA has been extended by a further week until Monday 7 December, but the state's Premier Steven Marshall says he remains committed to the Federal Government's repatriation plan.

There have been no new cases of COVID-19 reported in SA today after a massive 12,322 tests were done yesterday.

"I want to thank every single person in the state for the outstanding effort and contribution," Premier Steven Marshall said.

"This is really a combined effort to do every single plausible thing we can to get back to a sense of normality by Christmas this year."

There are currently 31 cases linked to the Parafield outbreak which sent SA into lockdown for three days last week.

Further, there are just 23 active cases in SA, a reduction on yesterday after SA Health determined a number of infected people had recovered from COVID-19 and were no longer displaying any symptoms.

An air-conditioned pop-up testing clinic has been established at Adelaide's Showgrounds today as the state swelters through a heatwave.

Chief health officer Dr Nicola Spurrier has encouraged South Australians to come forward and get tested if they feel unwell.

"The one thing that every South Australian needs to do in the coming weeks, even if you have only mild respiratory symptoms, is go and get tested," she said.

"If you've already had a test and then a couple of weeks later you start to feel unwell again, go and get another test."

There have been 599 total cases reported in SA since the beginning of the pandemic.

Updated at 12.00pm AEDT on 27 November 2020.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Victoria to open up to Brisbane and regional NSW as restrictions ease

Victoria to open up to Brisbane and regional NSW as restrictions ease

Travellers from Brisbane and regional New South Wales will be abl...

Online Christmas shopping soared 27 per cent in 2020

Online Christmas shopping soared 27 per cent in 2020

The switch to online retail was no passing trend in 2020 as the y...

Restrictions to be lifted in Greater Brisbane

Restrictions to be lifted in Greater Brisbane

Restrictions imposed in response to the UK COVID-19 strain cluste...

Ellume sends first rapid COVID-19 tests to US

Ellume sends first rapid COVID-19 tests to US

Brisbane-based medical technology company Ellume has sent its fir...