A cluster of COVID-19 cases connected to The Apollo at Potts Point is still growing, with six new cases today including two in Queensland and four in New South Wales.
Queensland has recorded three new confirmed cases of COVID-19, but none are connected to the two 19-year-old women who returned from Melbourne and ignored self-isolation orders.
Both of the Queensland cases linked to the Potts Point restaurant have been self-isolating since their return home.
The third is a man in his 20s who returned from the United States and is in hotel quarantine.
Queensland Deputy Premier Steven Miles says the news validates the government's decision to close the State's borders to Greater Sydney yesterday.
"The fact that two of these three new cases came from Sydney, as well as the fact that two of the cases we recorded yesterday had transited through Sydney underlines how important it is that we have made that decision to declare Greater Sydney a hotspot," says Miles.
"It will allow us to control cases returning from Sydney where we know there are out breaks and that means it was the right decision."
While none of the new cases reported today by Queensland authorities are connected to the two 19-year-old women, Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young says the state is still on high alert.
"In the last two days we've had six cases. It's been a long time since we've had those sorts of case numbers," says Dr Young.
"So this is an incredibly risky time for Queensland. We need to get through the next week."
Dr Young has encouraged anyone displaying symptoms to self-isolate and immediately get tested for COVID-19.
New South Wales has recorded 18 new cases of COVID-19 today, bringing the total number in the state to 3,547.
Of the new cases:
- Two are linked to the funeral gatherings cluster,
- Four are associated with the Thai Rock Wetherill Park cluster,
- Four are associated with The Apollo restaurant in Potts Point,
- Two are returned travellers in hotel quarantine, and
- Six are under investigation.
There are now 89 cases associated with Thai Rock Wetherill Park, 57 cases associated with the Crossroads Hotel cluster, eight cases associated with Batemans Bay Soldiers Club, and 20 associated with the funerals. There are eleven cases associated with the Potts Point cluster.
NSW Health has advised anyone who attended Frank's Pizza Bar Restaurant in Camperdown on 27 July from 6pm to 8pm to monitor for symptoms after a case attended the establishment.
Three cases have now attended the Mounties at Mount Pritchard and new times have been identified. Anyone who attended the club from 6pm Wednesday 22 July to 3am on Saturday 25 July must isolate and get tested regardless of symptoms, but stay isolated for a full 14 days even if they test negative.
Health authorities have also expanded testing advice to Perisher after commencing a research program to test sewage for traces of COVID-19 across NSW.
Initial samples collected at the Perisher sewage treatment plant on Wednesday 22 July 2020 returned a positive result for the presence of COVID-19.
Further sampling and analysis is required to assess the significance of this initial positive result. The positive sewage result can be due to shedding of the virus by someone who may have previously had the illness, with the virus 'shedding' through their system for up to four weeks later.
"While no cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Perisher or Thredbo to date, it's important that anyone who was in this area get tested if they have even the mildest of symptoms," says NSW Health.
There are 100 COVID-19 cases being treated by NSW Health currently, with five people in intensive care and one being ventilated.
Updated at 10:33am AEST on 30 July 2020.
Help us deliver quality journalism to you.
As a free and independent news site providing daily updates
during a period of unprecedented challenges for businesses everywhere
we call on your support