A “short, sharp lockdown” in Cairns, Queensland, has been declared successful in stopping the potential spread of COVID-19 in the region, meaning the state’s health authorities will lift the tough restrictions today.
As planned, Cairns will exit its snap three-day lockdown from 4pm, which QLD Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said was “absolutely tremendous’ news.
Some restrictions will however remain in place.
“Who would have thought a week ago we would be in this position today, so well done Queensland,” Palaszczuk said.
The easing of lockdown restrictions in Cairns comes after QLD reported four new cases of community transmission today, all linked to the Indooroopilly school cluster and all isolating for their entire infectious period.
The ongoing restrictions in Cairns will mirror the current restrictions Southeast Queensland is under, and will apply until 22 August:
- No more than 10 people are allowed in homes, including those who live there, and in public spaces. Visits to patients in hospital and residents in aged-care facilities are permitted unless a person is subject to a home quarantine order.
- Weddings and funerals are allowed a maximum of 20 people.
- Businesses and venues, including places of worship, conventions centres, retail, dining, gyms, hairdressers, beauty and personal cares services are allowed to operate on the one person per 4sqm rule - or 50 per cent with ticketed or allocated seating for venues.
- Community sports are not permitted.
- Masks must continue to be worn in the workplace and indoor areas where social distancing is not possible.
“A week ago I think everyone was worried about where we would end up with this cluster - it was our biggest challenge and Queensland absolutely rose to that challenge,” the Premier said.
“It’s through your hard work that we’re in this fantastic situation today.
“Well done Cairns. Every single person in the community needs to be commended.”
Updated at 10.40am AEST on 11 August 2021.
Help us deliver quality journalism to you.
As a free and independent news site providing daily updates
during a period of unprecedented challenges for businesses everywhere
we call on your support