Stay-at-home order issued for Sydney local government areas

Stay-at-home order issued for Sydney local government areas

UPDATE (28 JUNE): Restrictions in NSW have since changed with the entirety of Greater Sydney, including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Shellharbour and Wollongong now under lockdown. Read more here.

Those who live or work in four Sydney local government areas (LGAs) have been issued stay-at-home orders today to slow the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant of COVID-19 in New South Wales.

In addition, existing COVID-19 restrictions for the rest of the city will remain in place for an additional two days to midnight Friday 2 July.

The new orders come as NSW reports 22 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases today, and confirmation from the state's chief health officer that all cases bar one reported up to 8pm yesterday are now connected to known infections.

The stay-at-home orders applies to the four LGAs of the City of Sydney, Randwick, Woollahra and Waverley.

As such, those who live or work in those areas must stay at home for at least a week except for the following four reasons:

  • For work or to get educated unless working from home or receiving education from home is possible
  • To exercise outside
  • To provide care to a relative
  • Or to buy essential goods or services

"We believe this is a proportionate response to the risk," NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.

"We are on top of the cases at the moment bar that one, but this is really to make sure that we can prevent further spread."

NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said the stay-at-home order is necessary to prevent further seeding of the virus after state contact tracers determined the infectious link to the Joh Bailey salon in Double Bay.

"Investigations have revealed that a person who was infectious on June 15th and 16th was the source of infection of the Joh Bailey hairdresser in Double Bay," Dr Chant said.

"What we are concerned about is over 900 clients that attended or potentially were in contact may acquire the infection. We have reached out to those individuals and I'm hoping that when we see the cases over the coming days they're all in isolation.

As such, Chant said that over the coming days "we are going to see a large number of cases".

"I've got significant concerns for patrons and staff of the Joh Bailey salon in Double Bay, because we have at least three staff members who were working whilst infectious and with two confirmed cases amongst clients so far," Chant said.

"I expect more cases to be detected over the coming days and I'm urging all clients and staff of Joh Bailey between June 15 and 23 to be tested and maintain quarantine as directed by NSW Health."

Business NSW CEO Daniel Hunter has welcomed the new restrictions.

"The new restrictions are a concerning development, however this is a sensible decision that Business NSW supports based on the excellent track record of managing COVID outbreaks in NSW and the advice from NSW Health," Hunter said.

"If we get on top of this quickly by doing the right thing it is hoped we can avoid extended lockdowns and the devastating knock-on impacts to business."

"Businesses can still operate, but of course there will be some nervousness from customers. It's up to business owners and customers to ensure they do the right thing and comply with restrictions. I encourage business owners and customers to work together to fulfil existing orders and commitments wherever possible."

New Zealand extends travel bubble pause with NSW for 12 more days

A pause on quarantine-free travel from New South Wales to New Zealand has been extended for a further 12 days in response to the outbreak of COVID-19 in Sydney which has grown to 65 cases today.

The decision follows further public health assessment, with the NZ Government taking a cautious approach while investigations into unlinked cases continue.

Anyone who was at a location of interest at the specified times cannot travel to New Zealand within 14 days of the exposure event. This applies to all travellers, no matter what Australian State or Territory they are departing from.

Updated at 11.29am AEST on 25 June 2021.

Help us deliver quality journalism to you.
As a free and independent news site providing daily updates
during a period of unprecedented challenges for businesses everywhere
we call on your support

A game changer? Aspiring to the new standard on workplace mental health
Partner Content
Work health and safety regulators have been more active in the area of mental health ri...
Aon
Advertisement

Related Stories

PM throws cold water on new NSW Premier's 'opening to the world' plan

PM throws cold water on new NSW Premier's 'opening to the world' plan

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has shrugged off NSW Premier Dominic ...

Southern Tasmania to enter three-day lockdown from 6pm tonight

Southern Tasmania to enter three-day lockdown from 6pm tonight

Those living in Southern Tasmania will go into lockdown for three d...

ASIC takes insurance giant to task over allegedly failing to apply $60m in promised discounts

ASIC takes insurance giant to task over allegedly failing to apply $60m in promised discounts

Australia’s corporate watchdog has Insurance Australia Limite...

Victoria reopening to fully vaccinated NSW travellers from next Wednesday

Victoria reopening to fully vaccinated NSW travellers from next Wednesday

Changes to state border arrangements are coming in thick and fast t...