UPDATE (5.44pm AEST 5 May 2021): NSW Health has released new venues of concern in Sydney's eastern suburbs and CBD visited by the confirmed case of COVID-19. See below for details.
NSW health authorities are undertaking urgent investigations after a man unconnected to the state's hotel quarantine system or health services tested positive for COVID-19.
The man visited a number of locations around Sydney including a cinema, multiple BBQ stores, and a Rushcutters Bay restaurant.
The man in his 50s from Sydney's eastern suburbs underwent testing yesterday and returned a positive result today.
Because he has not travelled overseas in recent times and he does not work in a hotel quarantine, border or health role, NSW Health is conducting genomic sequencing to determine how the man contracted the virus. Results are expected in the next 24 hours.
Close contacts are being urgently contacted, tested, and ordered into isolation.
The man visited a number of venues while potentially infectious. As such, anyone who attended any of the following venues at the times specified have been asked to immediately get tested and isolate until NSW Health provides further information, regardless of whether they have been vaccinated or not:
- A screening of The Courier at Event Cinemas in Westfield Bondi Junction on Friday 30 April between 6-8pm
- Figo Restaurant in Rushcutters Bay on Friday 30 April between 8.45-11pm
- Joe's Barbeques & Heating in Silverwater on Saturday 1 May between 1-1.45pm
- Tuckers Barbeques in Silverwater on Saturday 1 May between 1-1.45pm
- Barbeques Galore in Annandale on Saturday 1 May between 2-3pm
- Barbeques Galore in Casula on Saturday 1 May between 4-5pm
- BP Mascot in Mascot on Saturday 1 May between 4.30-5pm
- The Meat Store in Bondi Junction on Sunday 2 May between 3-4pm
UPDATE: NSW Health has released new venues of concern in Sydney's eastern suburbs and CBD visited by the confirmed case of COVID-19:
- District Brasserie in Sydney CBD on Friday 30 April between 11-11.45am
- HineSight Optometrist in Sydney CBD on Friday 30 April between 12-1pm
- Barbetta in Paddington on Friday 30 April between 1.30-2.30pm
Updated at 2.21pm AEST on 5 May 2021.
Help us deliver quality journalism to you.
As a free and independent news site providing daily updates
during a period of unprecedented challenges for businesses everywhere
we call on your support