Department store Myer (ASX: MYR) has announced seven stores in Queensland and New South Wales will reopen in time for Mother's Day this Sunday.
In line with an easing of stay-at-home measures in Queensland, stores in Chermside, Carindale, North Lakes, Townsville and Toowoomba will be reopened as a trial from tomorrow.
This will be followed up by two Sydney store openings in Bankstown and Liverpool on Saturday.
"Myer has made the further decision today to open two New South Wales stores, and we look forward to welcoming local customers back to these stores, with great brands, at great value, in a safe shopping environment," a Myer spokesperson said yesterday.
"In line with the easing of restrictions in Queensland, we look forward to trialling the opening of five Queensland stores, providing our customers with great brands at great value, in a safe shopping environment," the spokesperson said earlier in the week.
"Our priority continues to be the health and wellbeing of our customers and team members and to assist and support governments in limiting the spread of COVID-19."
The reopenings represent close to 12 per cent of Myer's 60-strong store network.
The move follows an announcement on 22 April that Myer would aim to reopen stores as soon as possible, and that a surge in online sales had prompted the group to reinstate 2,000 staff.
As part of the reopening of physical stores, Myer has highlighted the following enhanced safety and cleaning measures to be implemented across stores:
- Increased frequency of cleaning services across trial stores;
- Protective items such as hand sanitiser stations, face masks and gloves available to team members;
- Hand sanitiser available for our customers;
- Sneeze guards at registers to be progressively rolled out across the stores;
- Social distancing measures of 1.5 metres between customers and team members, with clear signage across the stores;
- Contactless payments; and
- Informing our team members on social distancing and hygiene measures.
In addition, some services will remain suspended to reduce close contact, including:
- Beauty appointments;
- Intimate apparel fittings
- Suit fittings;
- Shoe fittings; and
- Change rooms.
Updated at 9:03am AEST on 7 May 2020.
Help us deliver quality journalism to you.
As a free and independent news site providing daily updates
during a period of unprecedented challenges for businesses everywhere
we call on your support